回主页
皮皮阅读 · 海底两万里英文版
目录
位置:主页 > 图书读物 > 世界名著英文版 > 海底两万里英文版 >

27 南极(11)

发布时间:2021-06-29 09:34:32

【上一页】 【回目录】 【下一页】

Made of solid ivory, without striations, harder than elephant tusks, and less prone to yellowing, these teeth are in great demand.

是人们争求的珍品。因此这些海马受到意外过度的猎龋不久就要被消减到最后阶段了,

Accordingly, walruses are the victims of a mindless hunting that soon will destroy them all, since their hunters indiscriminately slaughter pregnant females and youngsters, and over 4,000 individuals are destroyed annually.

因为打海马的猎人盲目屠杀,不管是有的母海马还是幼年海马,每年屠杀的数目超过四千条。

Passing near these unusual animals, I could examine them at my leisure since they didn't stir.

从这些新奇的动物旁边走过,我可以从容地考察它们,因为它们留在那里不动。

Their hides were rough and heavy, a tan color leaning toward a reddish brown; their coats were short and less than abundant.

它们的表皮很厚,多皱纹,调是类似褚红的茶褐,皮很短,并且很少。

Some were four meters long.

有些海马长至四米。

More tranquil and less fearful than their northern relatives, they posted no sentinels on guard duty at the approaches to their campsite.

它们比北冰洋的海马安静,胆大,它们并不委派特别选出来的哨兵来看守它们露营的周围。

After examining this community of walruses, I decided to return in my tracks.

考察了这所海马齐集的城市后,我就想回去了。

It was eleven o'clock, and if Captain Nemo found conditions favorable for taking his sights, I wanted to be present at the operation.

时间是十一点了。如果尼摩船长觉得条件顺利,可以观察,那我要到他面前,看着他做。

But I held no hopes that the sun would make an appearance that day.

可是,我不敢希望这一天太会钻出来。

It was hidden from our eyes by clouds squeezed together on the horizon.

重重积压在天边的浓云使它躲开了我们的眼睛。

Apparently the jealous orb didn't want to reveal this inaccessible spot on the globe to any human being.

好像这十分珍重的太,不愿意在这地球上人迹不能到的地点,现出来给人们看。

Yet I decided to return to the Nautilus.

可是,我想应当回诺第留斯号去了。

We went along a steep, narrow path that ran over the cliff's summit.

我们沿着悬崖顶一条狭窄斜坡下去。

By 11:30 we had arrived at our landing place.

十一点半,我们到了上陆的地点。

The beached skiff had brought the captain ashore.

搁浅在那里的小艇正把船长送上地来。

I spotted him standing on a chunk of basalt.

我看见他站在一块玄武石岩上,

His instruments were beside him.

他的器械放在他近边。

His eyes were focused on the northern horizon, along which the sun was sweeping in its extended arc.

他眼光盯着北方天际。太在那边画出长长的曲线。 

【上一页】 【回目录】 【下一页】

推荐阅读

·纯真年代 ·乡村三日 ·王尔德的诗英文版 ·格列佛游记英文版 ·小妇人英文版 ·少年派的奇幻漂流英文 ·365个英语小故事 ·谁动了我的奶酪英语原文 ·穷爸爸富爸爸 ·羊皮卷英文版
课外书|读后感|话题作文|作文素材|专题作文|单元作文|英语作文|首页